Friday, August 23, 2013

Friday Feature: PrettyHandCraft


For the Friday Feature, this week we have Irina from PrettyHandCraft.
  
Tell us about yourself and your shop. What do you sell?

Hi, I'm Irina, owner of PrettyHandCraft.
I always loved knitting, so when I was pregnant with my child, I started knitting for him. Then, I made a baby blanket for one of my friends. Then some more, sold them on ebay, so I suppose, it all started with knitted baby blankets :) I set up this shop with my child in mind - all the revenue goes into his saving account, which only he can access when he's 18 :) So, I still have a few years here, as Alex is only 4 at the moment.







Now, I'm trying to sew, because I found another passion - fabric! I love all different prints and designs. So in my shop there some items which I sewn as well, not just knitted stuff :) Mainly, its different folders, drawstring bags and needle cases.

I honestly cannot live without creating something, for me its like a therapy after a long day at work, or being a housewife and mother. I just need to make something :) Some things will bother me for days, my but I will find a solution how to make this or that (I remember, I got stuck with lace border for one blanket, I had three or four different designs, and eventually, I chose one :), but I will make things right, because I am my toughest critic. I remember one phrase from my university years "when you make things for somebody else, they should better, than you would make for yourself". That is true, I do believe in Customer Service, and the fact that your customer is your boss.




How do you keep everything organized? Do you have a workspace?
I wish I had my own craft room, where I could put a desk for my sewing machine and comfy chair by the window for me to knit. At the moment, its only a dream, and I have to be organized, and put everything away (at the moment, in the big wardrobe) at the end of the day.



What has been the most difficult aspect of being a Mommy with a Small Business?
The most difficult part is to find time for craft, as I feel guilty not spending all of my time with Alex. I try to find compromise, sing along, involve him into dialogues while knitting or sewing. I let him cut some paper templates, so it is still time together. And the reward is, every item I sell is going towards his account, so hopefully, he will appreciate it in the future.

Thanks, Irina!
 
For more information, you can visit Irina at the following sites:  www.facebook.com/irina.smith.338
www.facebook.com/pages/Pretty-Hand-Craft/205595566252787
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PrettyHandCraft

No comments:

Post a Comment