Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday Feature: Star City Kiddies

Our shop this week is Star City Kiddies.

Tell us about yourself and your shop. What do you sell?
I am a full-time mother, full-time wife, and full-time hospice office manager. I found my love of crafting during my 20 plus years in Girl Scouts, as a Scout, Gold Award Recipient, and Leader. In 2009, I was blessed with my beautiful son, I found that it was hard to find cute little boy clothes, so I decided to make my own. Star City Kiddies was born! As my son has gotten older, I expanded into other handmade baby & toddler items like pacifier holders, crib quilts, and carseat/doll quilts. I have recently added 18 inch Doll Clothes because my niece has fallen in love with a popular 18 inch doll and needed some cute clothes for “Stacy”.

How did you come up with the name?
My hometown is nicknamed "The Star City of the South"... so Star City Kiddies seemed to fit my business perfectly.

What goals do you have for your shop? Is is a hobby, major source of income, or somewhere in between?
My hope for my shop is for it to be successful enough to be able to stay at home with my little man.



How do you balance your business with your family?
Although it is often difficult to balance family, work and a small business, I have always made sure that my little man is my "helper" when creating my shop items. He helps pick out fabrics and even learns his numbers, colors and shapes as we create together.



How do you keep everything organized? Do you have a workspace?
I don't have a designated workspace at this time... just a dining room table and some bins but I am in the process of creating a designated playroom/sewing area in the house so my son and I can “play” together and create together.



What has been the most rewarding aspect of being a mommy with a small business?
I love being able to create items for moms that are having a difficult time finding cute boy stuff. I love being able to create and help support my family.

Do you have any tips for other moms with a small/home business?
My advice to other moms is simple… don’t be afraid to try. You can easily incorporate your own little helper into your creative process. We love the time we spend together.


Thanks, Laura! If you would like to see more, visit Laura at her Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/StarCityKiddies

No comments:

Post a Comment