Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday Feature: ValerieDaisy


It's Friday again! Our featured shop of the week is Valeriedaisy. Enjoy!

Tell us about yourself and your shop. What do you sell?
Valeriedaisy came about because of my need for a creative outlet. I'm a full-time mom of three. I sew (mostly for girls - I have all boys and needed a girlie outlet) crochet and just recently started to make hair accessories.
I started to really focus on my shop this past year. I had a newborn and wasn't really taking any time for myself (like most moms). Creating is a way for me tune out the buzz of everything else and relieve some stress. Don't get me wrong, while I am creating, I'm making adorable things for my boys (you can't really turn off being a mom - and I wouldn't want to).


 




When did you start creating? Why?
My mom taught me to sew at our kitchen table when I was ten. I made a dress - it fit like a glove and I wore it everywhere! I was so proud of my dress. It's a great feeling knowing that you made something, which is a huge reason on why I do what I do. It is quite satisfying seeing what you made on someone else.




What inspires you?
I am inspired by simplicity. There has to be a function and a rational, would I buy this? Why would I buy this, will this improve my life? While my items don't improve anyone's life, it does make it more colorful and exciting. I take an everyday item - in my house, it's a onesie, and appliqué a cute comic book hero onto it. It transforms the whole outfit, brightens up the otherwise drab outfit, because, let's face it, there are not a lot of cute baby clothes for boys.



How do you balance your business with your family?
Balancing my business and family can be a bit hectic. Once I see the older boys off to school, I'll start my cleaning and folding (there's always folding!). Once the cleanings done, I'll start the crockpot (LOVE the crockpot). I usually start my sewing when my baby is napping (which is hardly ever). Once my older boys are home from school, it's all about family. We do homework, eat dinner, spend time with my husband. It's not until everyone's asleep that I can continue working on whatever project I'm working on. It's a great help that I have a sewing room and am able to leave projects out. On some days, I'm unable to even get in an hour sewing time. It gets a bit tricky, sometimes, but I manage.



What has been the most difficult aspect of being a Mommy with a Small Business?
The most difficult aspect of being a mommy with a small business would be time management. When you say yes to something, you're saying no to something else. That always bugs me. I've been doing quite a few local craft shows and it's exhausting, especially when you've taken hours away from your family and sales are poor. That's a lousy feeling, - all that time essentially wasted.




What has been the most rewarding?
The most rewarding feeling is when your out and about somewhere and someone asks where you got the bag you're carrying and you're able to tell them "I made it".

You can follow Valerie on Facebook - www.facebook.com/ShopValeriedaisy and on etsy - valeriedaisy.etsy.com

Thanks for joining us! Questions and comments are always appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment