Friday, March 8, 2013

Friday Feature: Kusi Peru

 

Tell us about yourself.
Hi, my name is Kusi which means Joy in Quechua, the indigenous language of Peru. I am half Quechua and half North American. Growing up in Peru with a rich Quechua heritage I have always had a love for traditional Andean textiles and designs. I am now married to a wonderful man and am a mother to a beautiful two year old boy. As a family, we love Jesus and desire that others know Him. We live in Peru and work with the indigenous peoples of the Andes and Amazon jungle of Peru and we strive to share God's love with them.



Tell us about your shop. What do you sell?
My shop is for the girl who likes to have an accessory that will make them stand out. It's a little bohemian/tribal which I'm really into right now. I sell mostly bracelets and earrings. I eventually want to start expanding my products, also making things for children and men.

When did you start creating? Why?
I have been creating ever since I was a little girl. I noticed at an early age that I really enjoyed creating things and working with my hands. For this reason, after high school, I decided to spend some time in fashion school which allowed me to expand my creativeness. Its also in my blood. I was born into a family with very talented artists. My grandmother on my mothers side has always made beautiful oil and watercolor paintings. On my Quechua father's side, I have family that do beautiful colorful weavings, carvings and jewelry. Most of my creations are inspired by my Peruvian heritage. I use Peruvian textiles, stones and natural seeds from Peru.

How do you balance your business with your family?
It seems to balance well since its something I can do from home or anywhere. I travel around Peru a lot on short trips with my family since we are missionaries, and on these trips helps me to get inspired in the colors, textiles of Peru, etc. We pretty much try to be together at all times. There are times when my son and I cant travel and thats when I work on more products at home while alone with my son and have extra time to do so. We live in a spacious area so my son is able to run free and play outside while i can sit outside and work on maybe a macramé bracelet, etc. So I get to spend time with my son and also catch up on my products when at home.

What has been the most difficult aspect of being a Mommy with a Small Business?
There are some days where I just want to spend time cuddling my son, rest, play, etc, the day goes by and haven't gotten much done on my business.

What has been the most rewarding?
I enjoy making all kinds of things that are unique and colorful. I especially enjoy making them when I know that the money i get from selling them will go to helping others in need. I give a % of my earnings to different causes that I see a need in here in Peru. The rest of the money goes to helping support me and my family as missionaries. and I also really enjoy that I can be home with my son and also do what I like.

Do you have any tips for other moms with a small/home business?
Manage your time well, so that you can spend as much time possible with your family and also do what you like. No matter what anyone says, if you love making things, go for it. There will always be someone out there that will like what you make. As long as you enjoy it, do it.


Here is a coupon to use in Kusi's Etsy shop: 30% off - KUSI30PERCENTOFF

If you would like to follow Kusi's creations, you can find her at the following sites:
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KusiPeru
Facebook: facebook.com/Kusi
Twitter: @KusiSaune
Pinterest: pinterest.com/saccsara/

Questions or comments may be added here on the blog, or you can contact Kusi through her shop. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment