Monday, March 25, 2013

Stovetop Kettlecorn


One of my favorite summer fair treats is kettlecorn. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, so I would take that deliciously sweet, but lightly salty taste over regular popcorn any day! I used to only get it once or twice a year, but now that I make my own, it is one of our weekly snacks. Even when I make a double batch, it never lasts very long!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup oil (veggi or canola)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup popcorn
1/2 tsp salt

Instructions:

Heat the oil in a large two handled pot at a medium-borderline high temperature. My stove goes from 1-10, so I pop the corn at just below 7. Be careful not to get too high, or the sugar will burn before the corn pops.

I usually throw a couple kernels in with the oil. When they pop, I know the oil is hot enough.

Pour in the remaining kernels, salt and sugar. Replace the cover and give the pan a good shake. Keep the lid secure by placing your thumbs  (on a hotpad) over the cover like this:

Keep shaking the pan at intervals. You want to evenly coat the kernels, but you also want to keep them moving so the sugar doesn't burn.


When the pops slow down to a few seconds between pops, it is ready! Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl immediately. Let it cool for five minutes and then give the bowl a good shake to break up the giant popcorn ball.





Enjoy!










This post was brought to you by: Amanda Doster

No comments:

Post a Comment