Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Feature: All Because Of Claire

Our feature this week is Sarah of All Because of Claire.

Tell us about yourself.
I am a mom of two amazing kids. I have a 9 year old son and a 1 year old daughter named, Claire. I started this side business because of her! I work full time as a kindergarten teacher, I am in my 10th year teaching. I also am a Thirty-One Consultant in my spare time (there isn't much of it). I like to be creative and making headbands/clip helps me do that!

Tell us about your shop. What do you sell?
My shop, ABC-All Because Of Claire specializes in headbands, clips and bows for every day wear or your special occasion. I want the products to be functional and pretty for your child.

How did you come up with the name?
When I started making headband for my daughter and friends, I decided to make a Facebook page for me to show what I made and take orders from friends. I asked my Facebook friends, "If I were to sell these, what would you name my business?" I got a lot of great suggestions, but ABC-All Because of Claire was a popular idea. Everyone liked that ABC was an acronym.



When did you start creating? Why?
I started creating last July when my daughter was a few months old. I was spending a lot of money on headbands for her and decided to try my hand at a few ideas that I found on Pinterest. I then started making them for my friends and their children as well. From there, it went crazy! I had the summer off from teaching and so I had the time to invest in trying out some ideas that I saw. Once school started, I thought I would stop, but I got so many holiday requests and did some craft fairs so here I am, still going almost a year later.

What goals do you have for your shop?  Is it a hobby, major source of income, or somewhere in between? I have no goals for my shop other than to start making more money than I am spending on supplies :) It is a hobby, but a busy one, I would like to see it become more since I am selling so much, but it is hard to find the time with working full time to fully launch it as a major business.


How do you balance your business with your family?
I am still working on that! I am lucky that my daughter goes to bed early and sleeps really well. I can work after she goes to bed. My son is also busy with his own activities, homework, games, etc and goes to bed at a decent time. So, I reserve after bed time for working. I also use nap times on the weekends or days off of school to catch up. My husband is great about helping me out with packaging if I need it. If anything, it just has affected my unwinding from my day time and I do miss that some. Things get a little hectic at times and I have thrown "me time" out the window.



How do you keep everything organized? Do you have a workspace?
I used to work on my dining room table when I was a smaller business, but when my daughter started crawling and my supply space needs got larger, I moved up to the guest bedroom. We took a lot out to put some storage in for me to work. It is a mess! I won't let customers see it when they come for home appointments! I am definitely working on getting more organized in all areas!

What has been the most difficult aspect of being a Mommy with a Small Business?
Honestly, the organization and the shipping! I don't mind taking time out to be creative, but I hate invoices, shipping, paper work, etc.
 



What has been the most rewarding?
Getting photos of happy customers for sure! I love seeing photos from photographers when they use my products also. I also have the luxury of working at a school with kids, some of whom have bought items from me and I like walking down the hall and spotting the ones that I have made!

Do you have any tips for other moms with a small/home business?
Try to carve out "me time", I am still working on that. Come up with a system for orders (then share it with me! Ha ;) Take time for your family or else you will get burnt out, and you will regret making this leap into small business!




Thanks, Sarah!

If you liked what you see here, be sure to catch up with All Because of Claire at the following sites:

www.facebook.com/allbecauseofclaire
www.etsy.com/shop/allbecauseofclaire
ABC.allbecauseofclaire@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment